ACBA 2011 Awardees
Blane FITZGERALD STODDART
President and CEO of BFW Group, LLC
The Curtis Center 601 Walnut Street, Suite 1200 West Philadelphia, PA 19106
215 238 8422
Blane FITZGERALD STODDART is President and CEO of BFW Group, LLC. BFW provides green building consulting services, retrofit consulting, construction project management and owner’s representation services to government and quasi-government organizations, schools and institutions, developers, public housing authorities, and commercial property owners in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Mr. Stoddart formerly served as Vice President of Business Development and Customer Care for Innova Services Corporation where he was responsible for business development, revenue diversification, customer service, and new product development. Innova Services Corporation provided construction project management; tenant occupied building renovations, weatherization and green building consulting services to a $1.5 billion dollar family of companies in the Mid-Atlantic region. Mr. Stoddart led Innova’s participation in the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP), a federally sponsored initiative that allowed developers to source, rehab and sell recent foreclosures and REOs before they became a source of blight on neighborhoods.
Prior to that, Mr. Stoddart served as CEO of The Partnership CDC (community development corporation) and its subsidiaries West Market Management and The ServiceWorks Company. Under his leadership The CDC created over 100 new jobs, built hundreds of units of affordable and mixed-income housing, and invested close to $100 million dollars in West Philadelphia.
Mr. Stoddart currently serves on the Board of Philadelphia Development Partnership, Inglis House Housing Corporation and the New York Grant Company’s Green Finance Committee. Mr. Stoddart has won the 40 Under 40 Award bestowed by the Philadelphia Business Journal; has been named one of 50 People to Watch by Philadelphia Magazine and One of 10 Leaders Under 40 by The Philadelphia Tribune. Mr. Stoddart is an active member of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce and is Co-Founder of the CEO Access Network. Mr. Stoddart is the Founder of Friends of Team Jamaica, a volunteer support group for high school track and field standouts from Jamaica and Trinidad.
Mr. Stoddart is a 1987 graduate of The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania and holds a Bachelors of Science in Economics & Marketing. Mr. Stoddart has undertaken post-baccalaureate studies at Temple University. Mr. Stoddart is a licensed Realtor, and Pennsylvania Notary.
5023 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19139
Tel. 2152193279, 2672509924,
Samuel QUARTEY hasover 30 years experience in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery with emphasis in foot and ankle reconstruction and has performed surgeries at Temple Hospital ( North Eastern Division), Longdale Hospital, Oxford Hospital, and Broad Street Hospital. All of the aforementioned institutions are located in Philadelphia. His private practice was established in 1979.
Additionally, Dr. Quartey has been an adjunct professor at New York College of Podiatric Medicine since 1981, an Adjunct Professor at Temple University College of Podiatric Medicine, Philadelphia since 1981 and an instructor in Chemistry/Biochemistry at Howard University, Washington DC , (1973 – 1975) and a science teacher at Accra High School form 1966-1968.
Chairman, Board of Directors, African & Caribbean Business Council, since 2010
Member of Board of Directors, AFRICOM, Philadelphia, since 2005
Member of Board of Directors, African-American Museum of Philadelphia, since 2006
Member of the Mayor’s Commission on Africa/Caribbean Affairs of Philadelphia, since 2006
Member of Police Advisory Board – Africa and Caribbean Affairs of Philadelphia, since 2008
Chairman Board of Directors, Imhotep Charter High School, since 1998
Gadangme International President, USA/CANADA, 2005-2008
Chairman Gadangme Foundation, since 1995
Member of Board of Directors, National Podiatric Medicine Association, USA, 1983-1985
A a chief of Asene Clan in Asene, Ghana, instituted an educational program to keep the Ghanaian language of Acara people from becoming extinct. Issues award in the PSS and SSS level, certificated and book award every year in August, with the chief marker; Nii Amarkai, Jaase helping in Ghana, since 2006. Dr. Quartey also serves as a liaison between the GaDangne people in the USA and the government of Ghana, with deny access to the castle of Osu.
Temple University College of Podiatric Medicine (1979) Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
Howard University (1974) Master of Science Degree in Chemistry / Biochemistry
Howard University (1972) Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry
University of Science and Technology (1966) Special Government Science Course in Advance level Science
West Africa Secondary School 91964) G.C.E Ordinary Level
Legal Secretary | Support Services
Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young, LLP
2005 Market Street, Suite 2600
Philadelphia, PA 19103-7018
p: 215.564.8637, f: 215.564.8120
Barbara WILSON is a seasoned legal assistant professional with over 43 years of combined legal and administrative experience. Her life’s work is the focus and improvement of community, particularly the Jamaican-American communities, by delivering usable information and opportunities imperative to its success. Ms. Wilson has 30 years of community service work, which includes community and leadership experience, non-profit and business experience as well as governmental relations.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & ACTIVITIES
- Chief Director of Caribbean Festival Committee: Since its inception over 25 years ago, lead the coordinating and planning efforts of Philadelphia Annual Caribbean Festivals, targeting thousands of people across Philadelphia, New Jersey and Delaware State. Endorsed by City of Philadelphia & many other major national and international corporate entities. Created Committee award scholarships for deserving Caribbean-American students
- Chairperson of Philadelphia Organizing Committee for Team Jamaica Bickle (3 Terms): Directed teams of local Philadelphia’s professionals & community leaders in fundraising efforts to support Team Jamaica Bickle Organization. Served as the face and leader of the Organization in Philadelphia region. Currently an active team member.
- Active Board Member on Marcus Garvey Memorial Foundation: Deals with the historical and archiving of MGM’s documentation. Advice, peruse and review fellowship applications for Marcus Garvey Foundation’s fellowship awards from PhD students hopefuls.
- Active Member British Commonwealth Committee: Actively assist with fundraising and other charitable activities.
- Member/Advisor/ Representative on Philadelphia Mayor’s Commission on African and Caribbean Affairs: Serve as Caribbean representative, while advising leaders of committee of the needs & expectations of Philadelphia Caribbean community.
- Active Member, Philadelphia 2010 Census Committee: Assisted with organizing efforts to get Africans and Caribbean residents/naturalized citizens counted in the 2010 Census.
- Member, African and Caribbean Voters’ Registration Drive: Assisting with community outreach campaign targeting naturalized citizens & residents from Africa & Caribbean regarding voting & citizenship.
- Tutor, Gateway Literacy Program for Philadelphia: Tutor & teach adults with reading and writing disabilities.
- Governor Edward G. Rendell’s project – Commission on Literacy in Philadelphia: Worked with illiterate adults and those with reading and writing disabilities.
- President of Jamaica Progressive League (Philadelphia Chapter)-2 Terms
Member of St. James’ Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, PA
- Vestry Board member
- Altar Guild member
- Chair, Fellowship Committee;
- Chair, Communications Committee;
- Chalice Bearer/Server
- Church’s 250th Anniversary Planning Committee
- St. Vincent & Grenadines Organizations of PA- For Outstanding Leadership in the Caribbean Community
- Barbados Society Organization of Pennsylvania, Inc.-For Dedication and Work in the Caribbean Community
- International Cricket Club of Philadelphia- For Dedication and Service to the Caribbean Community
- Mayor’s Commission on Literacy Program-For Recognition of Volunteer Efforts as Tutor to Gateway Literary Program
- Comets Club International, New York- For Exemplary Service to the Community through Sports & Arts
- Team Jamaica Bickle, New York-For Outstanding Community Service & Philanthropy
- Philadelphia Cultural Multitalented Association-For Recognition of Community SupportEDUCATION
- Community College of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA (1985), Associate in Business Administration (Graduated with Honors)
- Jamaica Commercial Institute & The Institute of Commerce, Jamaica, West Indies (1965) – First Class Certificate
- Pitman Examinations Institute, London – First Class Certificate Dr. Alston B. MEADE (a) Elected twice to Board of Education, West Chester Area School District (c) President, Joint Committee on Special Education (12 School Districts of Chester County, PA)2. International Society of African Scientists – (Past President) Countries” (1992)3. Southern Chester County NAACP (Past President) attitudes/performance in the Avon Grove School District. prompted remedial measures by the school officials. In collaboration with other Chester County activists, persuaded Governor Shafer to make changes in the (a) Advocated on behalf of Black Employees of the DuPont Company. Conferences for High School Students.5. National Association of Jamaican and Supportive Organizations – NAJASO (Past President)6. NAJASO-Marcus Garvey Heritage Foundation (Co-Founder and President) InnovationPresident, Premier Financial GroupPhone: 215-887-4750 Fax: 215-887-4754 Safe Meadow Health Care Phone: (215) 937-0700
- Dr. Oyefule is also registered by the Medical and Dental Council to practice medicine in Nigeria.
- Dr. Oyefule frequently participates and occasionally leads medical missions to improvised regions of Africa to provide free modern medical care to populations that have no easy access to these services.
- More recently, he is the Medical Director of CenterPoint Healthcare Services, a group practice that consists of four psychiatric physicians. He has managed this group since its inception in 1996. He is also the CEO of Safe Meadow Health Center, an outpatient center that has serviced the behavioral health needs of the southwest Philadelphia population since 2005.
- Biyi OYEFULE, MD is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He has been licensed to practice medicine in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 1985. He was the past Medical Director at the State Correctional Institution, Graterford in the early 1990’s. At Graterford, he headed a medical group that included eight (8) primary care physicians, five (5) medical/surgical specialists, four (4) psychiatrists, three (3) general dentists, and one oral surgeon. In the mid-1990’s, he became the Clinical Director of the Adult Psychiatric Inpatient Unit at Eugenia Hospital in Whitemarsh, Montgomery County.
- 7042 Elmwood Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19142-1722
- Biyi OYEFULE
- He is a Director of the United Way of South Eastern Pennsylvania, Partners Financial Advisory Board, the Grand Old Gospel Fellowship Inc. and the Jamaican Trade of Greater Philadelphia.
- An engaging speaker, he has given seminars for various organizations including Yale Medical School, PBS-TV, National Association of Black Accountants, the American College, the Society of Financial Services Professionals, University of Pennsylvania – Wharton School of Business and Finance, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, the Medical Society of Eastern Pennsylvania, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, National Bar Association and numerous fraternities, churches, and charitable groups.
- His achievements include Life Membership in the Million Dollar Round Table, the premier association of financial professionals, where currently he is a member of the Top of the Table. He is a Registered Representative and an Investment Advisor Representative with NFP Securities, Inc., a member of the Philadelphia Estate Planning Council, the National Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors, and the Society of Financial Services Professionals.
- Brain H. GRANT, CFP®, CLU, ChFC, MSFS, President, Premier Financial Group.Mr. Grant received a Bachelor of Science degree with highest honors in Accounting and Management from the University of the West Indies. He also earned the Master of Science degree in Financial Services from the American College. He has over 30 years experience in the estate and financial planning fields. Before founding Premier he served as Principal Officer in Jamaica for Cuna Mutual Insurance Society, headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin.
- 119 S. Easton Road Glenside, PA 19038
- Brain H. GRANT, CFP®, CLU, ChFC, MSFS,
- 7. National Coalition on Caribbean Affairs – Co-Founder and Past President.
- Support scholarship programs at The University of the West Indies.
- (b) For twenty years, BDEA collaborated with the University of Delaware in staging Annual Career
- 4. Black DuPont Employees Association – BDEA (Co-Founder and Past President)
- leadership of The Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission.
- Conclusion: All students performed poorly, but the Hispanics and Black students were the worst. This
- Highlight of Term: Invited Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission to investigate racial
- Highlight of Presidency: Conference at World Bank on “Waste Management in Developing
- (b) Member, Intermediate Unit Board 24 (Representing 12 School Districts in Chester County, PA)
- 1. Education
- His life time of social activism is further exemplified by the following:
- In 2005, he was appointed by Mayor John Street to the newly created Mayor’s Commission on African and Caribbean Affairs. He is Co-Chair of the Legal Committee which focuses on immigration, citizenship and related issues.
- In September 2002, he was appointed by the Government of Jamaica to the position of Honorary Consul. In that capacity he played a pivotal role in the founding of “The Jamaican Trade Council of Greater Philadelphia”.
- He then joined the DuPont Company in Wilmington, Delaware. In a career of three decades at DuPont, his primary responsibility was research and development of insecticides and other agricultural chemicals.
- Dr. Alston B. MEADE, Ph.D., a native of Jamaica, West Indies, came to the U.S.A. to pursue educational goals. He obtained the B.A. degree (Zoology) at Fisk University and the Ph.D. (Entomology) at the University of Minnesota.